Sunday, January 16, 2011

Let Freedom Ring

Hotep,


The blogosphere is a unique setting. It’s an opportunity to let freedom ring. It’s an atmosphere in which a person who truly loves the art of literary expression can be heard by the masses. No matter where the expression originates or what situation the writer may be enduring, the love for his/her craft comes through loud and clear in the blogosphere. Feel me?

Now, on the other side of the spectrum, the blogosphere also opens the door for literary attacks. Writing is all about expression, so I welcome these attacks, even if they are anonymous. Na mean?

A wise man once said: “The world can define me as a criminal, but I don’t have to live its definition of me.” That’s real talk coming from Mr. Wilbert Rideau (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilbert_Rideau). A man who etched his place in American history before the blogosphere came into existence. To my anonymous literary attackers, I suggest you pick up a good book, In the Place of Justice (http://www.wilbertrideau.com/) and open your eyes to the reality of our American justice system.

You claim to know me as a “wanna be thug.” Well, I can understand that perspective coming from someone who believes that case the D.A. presented against me. The “wanna be thug” reference was the theme of his litigable lynching. Obviously you’re familiar with the case against me, but let’s keep it real Anonymous. You never knew me.

If you really knew me you’d know that the victim was a dear friend to me. You’d also know that I was someone she confided in. I knew about her wanting to become a mother and she constantly spoke about her beautiful niece. But, the D.A. never informed you of that because he needed me to a “wanna be thug.” Word is bond!

I find it odd, Anonymous, that you express furor on post like “The Mann I Knew” (3/13/10), “The Basement” (3/31/10), “A Death Sentence is No Nap” (4/21/10) and “A Tribute to Moms” (5/3/10). It would appear that you were attacking me in a chronological fashion, until I discovered that you skipped “It Kills Me” (4/14/10). Why is that Anonymous? Is it because that post challenges what the D.A. has led you to believe? Or is it just the fact that any justice will do? “It doesn’t matter who pulled the trigger, just as long as somebody pays.” Is that your position, Anonymous?

You say: “The state honestly proved beyond a reasonable doubt that I’m responsible for my friend’s murder.” Really? How did the state “honestly” prove anything, with a tainted jury and shoddy SBI lab technicians as their expert witnesses? Please elaborate, Anonymous.

I truly sympathize with the victim’s family and to a certain degree; I can understand some of the incendiary comments. But remaining anonymous can’t begin to rectify the situation. Your satire has no weight unless you claim the expression. So, how is it that I’m the “wanna be?” Real talk.

I welcome your future expressions, Anonymous. Just keep in mind: An eye for an eye leaves both of us blind. Let freedom ring!

Nuff Said,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I am truly speechless by this post. No words can begin to explain my feelings. GREAT JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leroy, how brave of you to stand up to "anonymous" and explain your position. HOWEVER...I don't think you should take up time addressing what "anonymous" has to say!!! No matter what you say, that person will believe what they believe and feel what they feel. In my opinion, its a family member of the victim,and if that's the case...there's no point in trying to change that person's opinion. Continue to do what you do and "Anonymous" will get to know you thru your words. Say what's on your mind and the people who support you will feel and hear you...loud and clear. "Anonymous" is entitled to their opinion but that's ALL it is...an opinion. KEEP DOING YOU!!! ALWAYS HAVE...ALWAYS WILL :)

    ReplyDelete