Monday, January 3, 2011

Is a 2nd Chance so hard for our “Humane Society?”

Hotep,
On my last trip to see the orthopedic doctor, I was accompanied by an old-timer that required the use of a wheelchair. As I pushed him up the tunnel, he asked why I was going to see the doctor. I told him that I was going to get a new pair of shoes. Then I asked him if he was going for the same reason. He replied, “Naw man. I’m going to get a new leg.” You see, the old-timer lost half of his right leg due to complications with diabetes. Real Talk.

That reality check gave me a reason to wake up this morning and give thanks to the Creator for the mobility of my lower extremities. And, what better way to do that than to carry out the exploration of the snow-stained surface of the death row rec yard, in pure Kunta Kinte fashion? (see “My Kunta Kinte Thing” 8/9/10).

The chill of the December winds can’t stop my Kunta Kinte Thing. 36 degrees was the high for this particular day. My ears were cold, my eyes were watering, but my mind was ever-so-clear as the soulful sounds of Escape’s “Who can I run to?” rang through my headphones. Without question, my thoughts got deeper than a mine in Chile. So grab your shovel and dig my latest expression.

Sometimes the lengthy price of redemption stings my mental like a Bernard Hopkins flurry. So many people are still bashing Mike Vick for his mistreatment of animals in the past. Now, I know it wouldn’t be logical to think that everyone would be receptive to a man gaining a 2nd chance after being labeled a “dog killer.”

As human beings we have the responsibility to uphold the torch of compassion, which is the practice of being humane. Raising animals for slaughter, artificially inseminating animals for the purpose of human consumption, using horses and dogs as weapons of authority or practicing brutal and inhumane methods to train an elephant for the sake of human entertainment, is not my definition of what it is to be humane. Feel me?

Would it not be humane to show compassion for a man who made a mistake? A man who put himself in a situation that warrants dire consequences? This is America, a country that was founded on the philosophy of “A New Beginning.” It’s also a country that entitles everyone to have an opinion, and this is mine:

If the Creator is the author of all living things, why do humans take animals into captivity (zoo, sea world or a circus nearest you) as a means of protecting them from extinction? If the Creator doesn’t feel your time is up, extinction is not possible. Humans are not protecting an animal’s species through captivity. They’re merely perpetuating entertainment for the sake of humanity. Ya heard?

Mike Vick is proving that he can be a productive member of society. I enjoy watching him throw touchdowns, but I love what he has to say to the youth of America. His words won’t stop youngstas from making mistakes, but his influence may spare them a stint in captivity. Na mean?

Keep it 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

1 comment:

  1. This is a really deep post bro. I was talking to someone about this the other day. We were having a discussion on the whole Michael Vick situation. He asked me how I felt about Michael Vick getting a second chance from the Eagles after what he`s done, when you have people who are sitting in jail and will never get the opportunity he has. Actually you came up in the conversation. I responded to him by saying, "Yes Mike Vick did mess up and he had to suffer the consequences for his actions, but how much abuse and suffering does he have to go through? He has apologized numerous times and its still not being excepted by people. In the Bible it clearly says, "He without sin cast the first stone." We are no better than him. Just like we make mistakes everyday and have to answer for those mistakes, he also did the same thing. His mistake a little worst than others, but he should not be punished by society because of that." My question to him was, "Has America become so vain that we don`t give people a second chance?" I then brought up the fact that I had a cousin that is in prison and it kills me to see him there, but he did something wrong so now he has to pay the consequence. He then asked me, "Well don`t you find that unfair that Vick is given a chance like that and your cousin is still behind bars and do you think Vick and your cousin have really changed? I could have snapped on him for that second part of the question, but I didnt. :) I came back at him with my words and intelligence like I know you would have wanted me to. I told him that I do not find it unfair that Vick got the second chance he did and that my cousin was still in prison. God has a different plan for everybody`s life. God`s plan for Vick is different than what God has planned for my cousin`s life. My cousin is getting part of his second chance through his writing and Vick is getting his through his athletics. Im not worried about my cousin`s life cause I know God has some big things in store for him and when God`s ready it will all unfold. I responded to his second question by saying I honestly believe Vick has changed and I know for sure that cousin is a better man now. I told him that sometimes God has to bring people down in order to change them and get them where He wants them to be and thats what He did for both my cousin and Vick. My cousin is my Vick. He is the reason why I write, do good in school, and do what I do in my community so that I can go off to college and do something with my life. He is my motivation. He encourages me to become even better than what I am right now and strive to do better than ok and never settle for less. He has always protected, looked out for,and encouraged me. If I God hadnt changed my cousin into the man he is now and placed in my life I wouldnt be the young lady I am today. I probably wouldnt even associate with some of my family. (To keep it 100) So to sum it all up I do believe that people should be given second chances, because God can change anybody and make that person better than what they were before they got into their situation. Sorry its so long, but hey you know how I am.


    Love and Miss you soo much Bro.

    -Jazzy<3/

    ReplyDelete