Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Contact: No Longer Long Distance



Seminal – highly influential in an original way; constituting or providing a basis for further development.
The American Heritage College Dictionary

It is 3,000 miles and various barriers of concrete, steel and Plexiglas impeding any physical contact between myself, and the tribe that bears my last name.  

Regular access to a telephone allows me to feel closer to my son and his beautiful family.

For example, on July 23, 2016, I experienced the celebratory crescendo of my granddaughter’s (Tear) 4th birthday.  

Now, the actual date of her born day is July 20th, but the festivities that put a smile on my face took place on the following Saturday.  And let me tell you; I would never have thought a four year old’s birthday party could get so “crunk.”

It was simply incredible talking to my son and his wife, while hordes of children were enjoying themselves in pure amusement park fashion.  My inaugural G-Dad born day song was merely an appetizer to this grand event.  SMH, LOL.

Two weeks later, I was on the phone with my son while he attended my grandson’s (Deuce) Pop Warner football game.  Again, the liveliness of children in the background helped me to feel closer to this familial experience, when the long distance has been known to be a primary factor in excluding loved ones from such events.  

Long distance may blind the eyes, but the heart soaks in a clear view of the cycle of life that becomes a landmark within my family history.

My soon-to-be eight-year-old grandson loves the sport of football.  I am told he is one of the better players on his team (The Cerittos Steelers), and he doesn’t shy away from contact.  

In a sport that is plagued by violent contact, my chest expands with pride when his father tells me that “Lil’ Mann” embraces every aspect of the sport.

In our postgame conversation, I asked “Lil’ Mann” if he scored any touchdowns.  Without the slightest hint of embarrassment he replied, “No. I had some tackles.” I wondered if he could feel my smile through the phone.

“I love you Lil’ Mann”
“I love you too.” 
What a Mann!

Happy Born Day Deuce!!

Your brief existence is seminal to an old Mann who feels much closer to you when the long distance is no longer an issue.  I love you.

G-Dad
Copyright © 2016 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment