Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Gallows of Skepticism



I have no problem admitting that I tend to be skeptical whenever a group dynamic is presented, and I am invited to partake.  I guess this would be considered my defense mechanism to impede the potential distractions that collide with the theory of interdependence.  

North Philly is the urban subculture that taught me the difference between “Bullshitters” (actors), and those who can smell their stench (perceivers) a mile away.  I consider myself one of the latter.

From 1991-1994, I was a respected MC in the underground hip-hop circuit.  DOC TERRA (me) was one third of a three-man crew known as the CONCRETE CHILDREN.  Our independent label was call, Products of the Urban Streets (P.O.T.U.S.).  We promoted this label by selling t-shirts, posting fliers, and “rockin’ the mic” from North Philly to Brooklyn, NY.

We once shared the same stage with the Notorious B.I.G. and Mic Geronimo.  We were on our way.  So close to a recording deal, but individual interests began to conflict with the mutual understanding of achieving success as a collective unit.

Approximately one year prior to everything falling apart, my instincts told me that individualism would sink our music careers into the depths of chasing the unattainable dream.  A single person’s selfish actions changed the course of three lives.  Now, none of us have a record deal, only the memories of the best thing that never happened; a cautionary tale.

When I first came to this class, I saw my current circumstance to be very similar to my days as a member of the CONCRETE CHILDREN.  The furtherance of programs made available to death row prisoners will require a collective effort to defeat the stigma of being “the worst of the worst.” This alliance is not necessarily synonymous with friendships, however it is the embodiment of the interdependence theory, and has no room for the prior scars stemming from group association.

I can only hope that my optimism for the best outcome – concerning these programs – is not a direct result of the endowment effect.  I take great pride in my capabilities to facilitate; therefore I have a tendency to see beyond what is expected.  For me, commitment is synonymous with success.  But, at the end of the day, the “actors” still play a part in this equation.

Someone once told me,
“no matter what the circumstance, the cream
will always rise to the top.”

I conclude with this:
My skepticism instinctively hangs another individual’s character, but I could just as easily be hanging myself by allowing the taint of incredulousness to detach me from productive communal functions.

Keeping it 100,

MannofStat
Copyright (c) 2016 by Leroy Elwood Mann

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Memories Aren't they the greatest of ALL TIMES

    Be Bless and Stay Prayed Up!

    ReplyDelete