Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Show and Tell



As a fourth grader, Fridays after lunch would be the highlight of my week.  The fact that I was two hours closer to the weekend school bell ringing played a minimal role in my midday enthusiasm.  

You see, this was the designated hour for Show & Tell.  A frozen moment where Ms. Warner (our teacher) would put down the chalk, place the text books to the side, and allow her pupils to step into the proverbial spotlight of public speaking.

I would relish in this opportunity to share the particulars of an autographed photo of New York Jets’ running back, Bruce Harper; the relevance of my latest Hot Wheels carrying case; or my last kite flying session with Pops in Fairmount Park.  I believe this is the reason being on stage has never felt foreign to me.

It was not evident then, but my teacher provided a platform for her students to get to know one another outside of the raised hands and test scores.  This was an occasion where an individual could freeze time despite the clocks ticking closer to the finale of a school week.  It was the moment to show people the real person standing before them.  A time when there was no right or wrong answer; just me.

All of the Hollywood buzz surrounded the latest installment of George Lucas’ STAR WARS saga, on December 18, 2015.  However, this was also a day that saw history being made in the most non-fictional way.  Six death row prisoners (myself included) captivated a standing room only audience (70 or better) within the walls of Raleigh’s Central Prison.  We gave them a story for the ages entitled: SERVING LIFE.

In some circles we are men remembered as no more than walking relics of much simpler times.  But, in this space that provides no access to rehabilitation for men of our kind, this cast of MAINE, DIEGO, PHILLY, BROOKLYN, WINSTON, and RALEIGH made the most of the 90 minutes bringing the how to the people and unveiling the realness often eclipsed by the daily attire of the red jumpsuit.  Staying in the moments of our lives-before and during the capital ploy of justice being served-proved to be an emotional roller coaster for anyone within the space.

When the scripts were issued last June, I was a bit daunted by its entirety.  I mean, I was prepared to orate a couple of monologues, but SERVING LIFE required far more responsibility than reciting a spoken word piece, then returning to my seat until the rotation came back to me.  This handpicked ensemble of six literary expressionists were groomed by Mrs. Lynden Harris (executive producer) to become a unified body for the purpose of sharing the plight of being human, while the judicial sands of time assures cruel and unusual punishment.

Initially, I thought the portrayal of multiple characters would detract from the energy of my role as PHILLY.  The tutelage of our stage Director, Ms. Kathy Williams, helped me to understand that SERIVING LIFE is the embodiment of art, that is our lives.  So every word spoken every gesture made, and every tear shed is simply who we are.  There is nothing to add or subtract from that.  Once this was understood my script was no longer a tangible object.  I can honestly say that I remain “in character” as this goes to press.

By taking on the roles of a racist school principal from DIEGO’s past; the no nonsense persona of BROOKLYN’s grandmother; an overly aggressive C.O. that stained the memory of MAINE; and a lackluster bus driver who dodged the responsibility of being anything more to WINSTON than a means of transportation to and from school.  I have grown closer to the traumas of their past, as they have mine.

Our cast opened the play walking in the manner of ankles restrained by the state’s shackles.  We left the stage, walking upright to the harmonious tune of a standing ovation.  It’s funny; prior to this experience Christmas was not official until I heard the classic Donny Hathaway joint, THIS CHRISTMAS. In SERVING LIFE I get to sing the opening verse,

“Hang all the mistletoe
I’m going to get to know you better…
This Christmas!”

Feel me?

My classmates from the Duke Divinity School sat in as the audience for our December 8th dress rehearsal.  The hugs and tears that follow the performance was a strong indication that this would be a special Christmas season, where the ears and eyes outside of Unit 3’s walls would get to know the “people” within these red jumpsuits better.

Much like Show and Tell many years ago, I am looking forward to the next installment of freezing time – helping people get to know me through a show that will tell them everything this red jumpsuit cannot.  SERVING LIFE is death to capital punishment.

Still Livin,’

MannofStat
Copyright © 2016 by Leroy Elwood Mann

3 comments:

  1. Thx for sharing Leroy. You are educating ppl that wearing a red jumpsuit is no way to define a person. Rochelle thx despite your challenges for posting again. Did you hear about the Texas dept of justice new rule? All social media to be removed by April 15th. So ppl can't hear incarcerated person's voices. I have followed Robert Pruett on d. row Texas via his 12 year strong writing friend from Switzerland. That is all going to end now. I usually end Cheers. But not so cheery Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise,
      Don't be troubled by the turbulent waters surrounding this platform. Our mission has already been anointed by THE CREATOR. Prepare for the Greatness that is yet to come. Your support is much appreciated.
      One,
      MannofStat

      Delete
  2. This was interesting and very educating for me......keep up the good public speaking. ........I love public speaking also!

    Be BLESS

    ReplyDelete