Sunday, March 8, 2015

Painfully Aware that Change is Seasonal

Painting by Lamar Whidbee

I continue to be amazed by the progression of W.O.R.D. to the Masses.  Reaching the five year anniversary is a monumental accomplishment.  

This labor of love and struggle against capital punishment by Leroy Elwood Mann, both humbles and inspires me.  His work has gained the support of prominent individuals in the fight against capital punishment.  

I always knew Leroy was capable of great things.  As the late Dr. Maya Angelou says, "When you know better, you do better." Leroy is living that reality everyday of his life.  Congratulations on five years Lump.  Keep pushing that pen.

Rochelle
Editor-In-Chief
--------------------------------------

Congratulations on 5 years W2TM!!


Hotep,

Changes in this world are as common as a Black Friday sale causing the “civilized” consumer to loose their wits.  As analogous as this may sound, the Black Friday shopping fits will probably NEVER change.  As these shoppers have remained true to their annual tradition, a monumental degree of change has transpired within these past 5 years. 

It’s no doubt I continue to be mesmerized by the sight of an orange-colored full moon gracing a 7:08 p.m. sky.  And yes, watching the sun set on my side of this compound remains essential.  Nature symbolizes change but it is the nature of a select few that seem to make the sunshine a little brighter on the men shaded by reproof.

2014 birthed events that embodies the ray of hope spreading across the gloomy horizon of North Carolina’s statuesque positioning on capital punishment:
  •      In late February, the Hidden Voices Foundation forged a union with our literary ensemble team FFLOW.  Together we paint a clear picture of how an entire society is merely 6 degrees of separation from capital punishment.
  •      Henry McCollum took giant steps from the row, to the streets after serving 30 years for a murder he did not commit.
  •      Chess King, Eugene Brown made himself to be an illuminating fixture in the low visibility of North Carolina’s basement; death row.  A place where hopelessness decimates the will to push forward, when the opposing army has you outnumbered.  Through the game of chess one thing is clear: the game doesn’t end until the KING can no longer make moves.  Ya heard?

I take pride in being a part of this embodiment of change.  At the same time, I am painfully aware that relations between young black men and law enforcement officers hasn’t changed much since the birth of the Civil Rights movement. 

While so much progress comes about in a place where men are sentenced to die, futures are atrophied by the fear behind a badge and the programmed racism that sparks a trigger finger, which inevitably precipitates the expiration of dreams.  Feel me?

More change arrived in the form of a website (http://noexceptions.net ), in which North Carolina’s death row displays a collective voice.  This is a groundbreaking experiment that should keep tele-ologists glued to the screens of their laptops. 

And, as they absorb the realness of our humanity, I am painfully aware that I have been locked up so long the birthday and Christmas cards become reruns.  The days behind this wall haven’t gotten any easier, but life has not been easy for the families of Troy Davis, Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and Eric Garner either.  The struggle that parallels us is unchanging.

Five years I’ve been blogging!  Who knew?  Much has changed, but more remains the same.  I’m still wearing a red jumpsuit.  My Moms’ pretty smile remains untouchable and I still have yet to meet my grandseeds.  I am painfully aware that this is my life. 

However, my ever-growing support system has revealed the heart of change, and my life becomes more purposeful every time I pick up this pen.  December 18, 2014 was a heartfelt conclusion to a year’s worth of progression.  Much love to the staff of Hidden Voices for making that possible. 

A very special appreciation goes to my Editor-in-Chief, the amplifier to my microphone, Rochelle.  Your belief in my purpose has attributed to a cyber existence that is changing the general perception of capital punishment.  We’ve got 5 years in, and more change to come.  Expect the unexpected.
 
100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2015 by Leroy Elwood Mann

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on 5 years of truth and beauty in words. You inspire me Leroy!

    ReplyDelete