Sunday, June 16, 2013

What’s A Mann To Do?


Hotep,


Father’s Day should be a time of revelation.  A time when you’re focus is centered on where you are; where you’ve been; and where you’re striving to be, as a father in this life.  So as my mind’s lens captures my past, present and future, as a father, I’m compelled to ask:  What does a Mann say to a son who grew up without the presence of a Mann?  I mean, how often will life continue to spin this rusty wheel of Karma? SMH.

I often gaze into a parallel existence that knows no Mann.  What ifs and what might’ve been occupies the mental space when encountering this existence.  A painful way of life that only a Mann could understand.  Scientific theories, algebraic equations or age-old philosophical conundrums would be easier to ingest, than an existence without a Mann.

When I was too young to understand that I was in need of a fatherly figure, Mr. Elliott Dabney was a Godsend to a Mann.  The gift of the father-son bond remains in tact to this very day.  Love you Pops.  Happy Father’s Day! 


Day after day I received a steady dose of love from my parents and siblings in the walls of 850 N. 6th Street.  But, I would still have to find my own way as a Mann.  You see I had no real connection to my biological father’s side after his tragic death.  So the closest Mann to me would have to come from me.  Na mean?

I was 18 years old when I left North Philly for the golden state of California.  It was barely a year after I became acquainted with the city of Compton; my son Daveante was conceived.  He’s the best thing I’ve ever done.  He was a Godsend to a Mann in need of another Mann.  I apologize for my poor choices that led to you growing up without the presence of a Mann, Son.

With that said; my son has grown to be a productive young Mann.  This loving father of Daveante Jr. (Deuce) and Daleah (Tear) has disrupted the cycle of knowing no other Mann but the one in your mirror.  Hands down he’s the best thing I’ve ever done.  Word is bond!

My grandseeds will know the Mann they refer to as Dad.  They will make memories with their father that will enrich the Mann legacy.  Now, that’s what’s good! Happy Father’s Day, Son!

Always 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2013 by Leroy Elwood Mann

1 comment:

  1. Happy Father's Day to you even though you were not there to be the Father image that you wanted to be! Your spirit and flesh and blood are within your son and grandsons! Have a Bless day and remember you are loved beyond measure! Be Bless!

    ReplyDelete