Tuesday, May 3, 2016

WordPrint








Bunions and blisters basically bombarding a balanced base
Anchored by hammer toes and ingrowns,
Yet I still stomp with the charisma of a Black Frat.
Achilles heel burnt by the passion of running the point.

For those that don’t know,
I can go like Arcidiacono; on and off the floor
Bending these creaky knees,
Clearly bringing fire from my core;
Don’t mean I’m gonna take the shot.

Not the shooter…
These hands of a stuntman hold up 2 V’s
Cause from beginning to end,
I’m a NOVA in this penitentiary sky,
Tightening my Big 5,
I beat on a chest far too familiar with heartache…
Boom! Boom! Boom! … Banging
With fist that’s been shootin jabs since the womb.

Basketball is a lifelong love, but life?
It ain’t no game.
Playing dead ain’t real and I feel,
Inadequate is my name…
It’s a damn shame
When memories gotta keep you in it to win it.
Seeing through the gloom and smelling the future
Produces the WORD that makes a dying existence infinite.

WORD… Official… The real… 100.
WORD? Is that so? For real? It can’t be.
WORD travels fast, can only be slow when stuttered.
WORD can cut ever-so-deep whether exclaimed or muttered.

WORD goes higher than any trip or high.
WORD leaves my soul and genuinely inseminates receptiveness…
From the bottom to the top – circulating throughout,
As I walk what I say.

The Underdog knows no surrender only knowing
The 1st place of a Champ by initially being a contender.
There’s beauty in this struggle of rising to the occasion.
WORD!!

Copyright © 2016 by Leroy Elwood Mann

3 comments:

  1. Leroy you are a puzzle. I think I know what you mean. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise,
      As you can see, the poetic bug has gotten a hold of my pen. This piece was written while we were studying different styles of poetry in my weekly creative writing class. I've written phantoms and villanelles, but nothing drives me like the spirit of "free-verse" poetry.

      I wanted to express my physical and emotional pain of being away from those I love the most. But somehow my appreciation for Villanova's recent National Championship became relevant. If you notice, my pain begins in my feet, then rises throughout my body until my mouth releases the WORD of my reality. Feel me?

      Thank you for being a part of this movement.
      Peace,
      MannofStat

      Delete
  2. Hello Rochelle. I'm presuming things are better for you as words are flowing. Be well Denise

    ReplyDelete