Sunday, July 13, 2014

I Witness


“Witnesses told investigators that two males were shooting at each other from across the intersection.”
Philadelphia Daily News

Hotep,

Recently, I was asked to expound on the word ‘witness.’ So, here’s what came of it:

This opening quote is a portion of numerous eyewitness accounts pertaining to a shooting that took place in the city of Philadelphia.  All too often, these eyewitnesses’ accounts will change with the repetition of questioning about the circumstances at hand.

When I was originally asked to expound on the word, ‘witness,’ my first thought was of the square shaped box carved from the finest oak, hickory or pine trees.  The shellac treatment given to this box leaves it with a shiny finish, and is ever so smooth to the touch.

In the center of this box, is a leather seat, accompanied by a microphone, and at times, a Bible and maybe a glass of water.  This well customized box is always the center of attention whenever someone occupies its space.  

Even though it is believed that this box is synonymous with truth telling, oft times it’s simply a seated podium where a person chooses to mislead others about particular circumstances or events.

Thinking of this box is a scar on my mental that doesn’t heal.  Whenever I look at pics of my grandseeds, this scar bleeds.

Talking to Moms through a stained Plexiglas partition infects this bleeding scar.

And seeing the pain of living without me, in my lady’s eyes, gives this infected, bleeding scar all the reason to become an open wound that bears the impact of a shackled existence.

I WITNESS THIS ON A DAILY BASIS!

Still Livin,’

MannofStat
Copyright © 2014 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment