Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Black In the Box: Wearing the Cause


“Jails and prisons are designed to break human beings, to convert the population into specimens in a zoo – obedient to our keepers, but dangerous to each other.”
Scholar and activist, Dr. Angela Davis

Hotep,

At this point, I’m sure you’ve already experienced Monday’s display of, “A Mann Striving 4 Blind Justice.” Some would say a picture is worth a thousand words.  Well, in this case, I hope that proves to be true.

The artwork of Cerron T. Hooks isn’t just a drawing, it’s a distinctive display of two brothers bound together in a single garment of destiny.  The red jumpsuits we wear are simply the state’s interpretation of how society should view the men wearing it.  But, the garment of destiny that bounds this brotherhood of creativity, is removing the state’s blinders from society’s view, as I write this.  Feel me?

Checkout Blood on my Sleeves (http://word2themasses.blogspot.com/2013/12/blood-on-my-sleeves-shade-of-reproof.html) to understand my view of this notorious garment’s impact.

These next three weeks, I welcome you to try on this garment of destiny.  My man Elrico Fowler, a.k.a. 
“Concrete,” will set the literary tone with his expression of “Sincerity.” The following week will showcase the acrostic expression uplifting the fruitful womb of the “Motherland,” written by my literary twin, Rodney Taylor, a.k.a. “Bucktown.”

The final week of this historical month will feature the head of the class, (http://word2themasses.blogspot.com/2013/12/head-of-class.html) Terrance Campbell, a.k.a. “Coach Cam,” paying homage to the late, great Madiba, “Mr. Mandela: his legacy (prison, to presidency, to pillar).”

Drape yourself within this garment of destiny, Blogosphere.  I guarantee it will be custom-fitted to the humanity within you.  Take pride in wearing the cause for justice.

Keepin it 100,

MannofStat

Copyright © 2014 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment