Sunday, October 21, 2012

Feeling the Burn


Hotep,
“Feeling the Burn” is a common term used in the confines of the penitentiary weight pile.  The burn represents the diligence of the muscle being used to complete a particular exercise.  The burn is also the body’s recognition of physical progression, the mental aspect being; your establishment of the will to endure higher degrees of muscle discomfort for the benefit of physical growth.  Na mean?
Now, allow me to switch gears and accelerate into the realm of mental calisthenics:
If a person plays with matches, eventually they’ll get burned.  The physical sting of a match burn may be just enough to compel this person to cease striking matches, but that’s not always the case.  Some may need a more extreme circumstance to acknowledge the damage a burning match can do.  Sometimes the burn has to go much deeper than a mere flesh wound.  Feel me?
A person may strike one match too many before he/she realizes the living room drapes have caught fire.  Then it’s the wall-to-wall carpeting and sectional couch that wears the flames.  This person may give his/her best effort to extinguish the flames, but quickly learns that their only option is to protect his/her fam and allow the fire to run its course.  Stay with me people.  I’m almost there.  Aight?
The trauma of losing everything you knew as “home” would be devastating enough.  The realization that you were responsible for this grave loss burns much deeper than any singed finger.  It’s an experience that reminds you of why you shouldn’t play with matches.  Word is bond!
You see, the reasoning behind this cautionary tale is I can deeply relate with anyone whose poor choice led to a traumatic event.  The internal burn can be devastating.  Womanizing is the match that torched everything I knew to be “home.”  It has charred my image to those believed to be my friends and until recently, seared my connection to society.
I’ve been burned and I’ve learned.  When I say:  “I’m done!” Believe me, I’m done.  Life on death row has been more than a scorching reminder of my poor choice to strike one match too many.  But, the sweet dream that lies within this living nightmare is an exemplification that good will endure the most horrific events.  Like the muscle enduring the burn; progress is inevitable, burning my loved ones, no longer is.  The burning match has been extinguished.  Ya heard?
Keep it 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment