Sunday, July 8, 2012

Last Meal


Hotep,

An ingrown toenail is a challenge that can make your daily activities an excruciating experience.  I had a procedure done on my left foot – back in April of 2011.  It took nearly two months for my foot to heal completely.  But now that I’m good, I decided to go full throttle with my “Kunta Kinte Thing” (Running).  So, on this first day of summer last year (6/21/11), my biggest challenge was the torrid heat of June.  Na mean?

I’m long overdue.  The temperature reached 95 degrees, but I was able to give my Creator 30 minutes.  A wild fire in Pender County had all of Raleigh gasping for air, including yours truly.  The prison rec yard was literally smoking.  Real talk.

Now, it’s no secret that the “Kunta Kinte Thing” opens my mental.  As I bent the corners of the smoky rec yard, I listened to Sheryl Crow sing about the beauty of a “Summer Day.” Then I adjusted the dial to hear Rick Ross spit some “Mayback Music.”  It was at that point that my thoughts went to my man, Willie E. Fisher (D.O.E 3/9/01).

About a year before his execution, Fish and I discussed the knowledge behind a condemned man’s last meal.  As the hours passed, we eventually concluded that the steak dinners, the chitterlings, the cherry sodas, and the eloquently sliced cheesecake, is the biggest slap in the face to a man clinging to his final hours of earthly existence.  Word is bond!

The state is meticulously arranging the final hours of your life.  They’re preparing to extinguish your physical presence from the eyes of the people who love you the most.  I guess the last meal is the state’s final act of humanity, before committing the heinous and atrocious act of injecting poison into the veins of another human being.  Closely watching their bodies convulse and gasp for breaths that no longer exist.  Then convince the public that the condemned individual died a peaceful death.  Feel me?

Because of this, whenever I’m indirectly subjected to the tunnel vision of individuals overly concerned about canteen items, or chow hall servings.  I’m inclined to believe that they’re looking forward to getting that last meal, slap in the face, the state of N.C. is more than willing to dish out; a special order of hopelessness.  Ya heard?

Fish and I made a pact.  If we had to meet the fate of being executed, we would not give the state the satisfaction of exhibiting this false sense of humanity.  The special requested last meal bears no honor for this death row prisoner.  Word is bond!

On March 9, 2001, Willie E. Fisher refused the “privilege” of a personalized last meal.  He ate the same food as any other prisoner living in this facility.  We were served fried chicken, collard greens and sweet potatoes on this particular evening, but of course, the media presented his last meal as a special request. 
Fisher’s last meal was symbolic for the truth in his words.  

Not many people outside of these walls knew about my pact with Fish.  Everything happens for a purpose.  My pact with Fish was meant to be served on this platform known as “W.O.R.D. to the Masses.”  It’s a cold dish about the state’s patronization of human beings facing execution.  A special meal doesn’t mollify the pain of injustice.  R.I.P. Fish.

Nuff Said,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment